Region : Roxburghshire Location : Jedburgh Details : The house itself is a long main block of three storeys, having a circular tower projecting from the E. angle : two wings, both at the SW end and make the plan T-shaped. The wing projecting northwards contains the main staircase as well as three floors above it, while the other, extending southwards, had a kitchen on the lowest floor. Its upper floor is fragmentary. The oldest parts are late 15th Century these are the vaulted chambers used for storage on the ground floor and the domestic area known as the Kerr Kitchen, connected by a tiny mural “left-handed” staircase.
The castle was taken and sacked by the English in 1523, but was recaptured with French help in 1549. Sir Thomas Kerr’s raid of caused damage at Ferniehirt. The castle was rebuilt about 1598.
Paranormal Phenomena : A Green Lady is said to have been witnessed in this castle. It is alleged that unusual occurrences were reported during its time as a youth hostel, the tales are uncorroborated.
Region : Aberdeenshire Location : Turriff Details : in 1214 it was the court of William the Lion. It is a Large L-plan castle with very long wings and Five towers. Each of the five families built one tower: Preston, Meldrum, Seton, Gordon and Leith. The center, or main block, is known as Seton Tower, which forms a grand arched entrance. This work was commissioned by Alexander Seton, Earl of Dunfermline in 1599. Meldrum Tower on the left, Preston Tower to the right. The Gordon Tower was added in 1777, and in 1890 the Leith Tower was built. The latter was modeled on Huntly Castle, and contains music and billiard rooms, and a gallery and organ.
Paranormal Phenomena : The castle is alleged to be haunted by a Green Lady , and there have been unexplained shrieks and footsteps within the castle. The Douglas room has a stain, which will not wash away
On 8th May 1601 Lady Lilies Drummond, First wife of Lord Alexander Seton died. Seton married again six months later to Grizel Leslie. On their wedding night (27 October) they were awakened by groans and sighs, and in the morning they found the name of Lilies Drummond carved upside down on the window ledge. Carved into the sill, facing outward and some 50 feet above the ground, the inscription can still be seen there today.
Fyvie has a staircase known as The Great Wheel Staircase and it is reputedly haunted by a green Lady, so called because of a green glowing aura. A portrait hanging in Fyvie, which is said to be that of the ghost bears only a slight resemblance to the usual suspect for the ghost – lady Drummond. Some members of the Gordon family say she appears only to them. She is also alleged to emerge from a room, known as the Haunted Chamber, and glide noiselessly through the corridors and rooms of the castle.
The skeleton of a woman was found by workmen renovating the gun room at Fyvie. The remains were given a Christian burial, but ghostly disturbances are said to have increased to the point that the bones were dug up and returned to the castle.
Fyvie Castle is also alleged to be haunted by the ghost of a phantom trumpeter who first made his appearance there in the 18th century. The trumpeter, a man called Andrew Lammie, fell for Agnes Smith, the local miller’s daughter (her parents did not approve of Andrew Lammie.)
Learning that Andrew and Agnes were meeting in secret the Laird, who himself wanted the girl as his mistress, had Andrew seized and sent in slavery to the West Indies. After several years Andrew managed to escape and return to Scotland to look for his beloved Agnes, only to discover that she had died a short while after he had been forcibly taken abroad. Andrew died of shock but before his death swore that the sound of a trumpet would foretell the death of every laird of Fyvie as a reminder of the terrible injustice he had suffered.
Shortly after Andrew’s death the haunting of Fyvie began and for many years afterwards the trumpet would be heard in the dead of night before the death of the laird. On several occasions the shadowy figure of a tall man, dressed in rich tartan, was seen by the castle wall, a figure which always disappeared when approached.
Region :Highland Location : 15 miles N of Wick Details : Originally known as the Castle of Mey, the name was later altered to Barrogill Castle. Built by the 4th Earl of Caithness it started as a typical 16th century Z-plan structure with jutting towers, corbelled turrets, and a great hall with numerous gun-loops. It came into the possession of Captain F B Imbert-Terry in 1929, who then sold it to the Queen Mother in 1952. Paranormal Phenomena : This is allegedly haunted by a Green Lady type of ghost. The local folklore tells of how the daughter of a former laird was thwarted in her love for a ploughboy and committed suicide by jumping from an upper window.
Region : Dumfries and Galloway Location : Glenluce Details : Thomas Hay built this tower house in 1590 after being given the lands of Park by his father, the last abbot of Glenluce. In the 1970s, after standing empty for over a century, the tower was repaired by Historic Scotland, Plans of the castle may be viewed on the landmarktrust website. Paranormal Phenomena : It is alleged that a green lady appears in an upstairs window. The folklore tells that she is a servant who was dismissed from her post because she was expecing a child and subsequently committed suicide.
Another alleged apparition in the castle is a monk who was reputedly murdered by being walled up in the castle. Residents say they feel as though they are being watched – and objects mysteriously move from one room to another.
Region :Fife Location : about a mile from the main rail station at Markinch and close to the M90
Details : a 14th century tower house of five storeys, with walls up to 2.4 metres thick Incorporating a large hall, a chapel and a vaulted basement. Built by the Sibbalds but passed at the end of the 15th century to Sir Robert Lundie by marriage. In 1716, the castle was captured and set on fire by Rob Roy MacGregor and his clansmen. It was in a poor state of repair in the 1950s but has been subsequently restored by the “Laird of Balgonie”, who today not only escorts visitors around his castle but hires it out as a romantic setting for weddings and other functions. A detailed history may be found http://www.balgoniecastle.co.uk/main/history.htm Continue reading →