Region : Nairnshire Location : Stands a mile north of Grantown on Spey.
Details : Castle Grant was originally called “Freuchie”, which means “Heathery Place”, and the Chiefs of Grant were styled “of Freuchie”. The original building, a Z-shaped tower house, is typical of many that exist in Scotland and is dateable to the 15th century. The castle has undergone a number of modifications the largest taking place in the 1750’s.
Paranormal Phenomena : The ghost is said to appear of Lady Barbara Grant, a daughter of a 16th century laird, who expired while she was locked in a cupboard by her father, because he did not agree with her choice of suitor.
Region : Banffshire Location :14 miles north east of Grantown on Spey on the A95.
Details : Originally built in a traditional Z plan it has been much altered and enlarged over the centuries. Ballindalloch dates from at least the 16th century- the date 1546 is carved on a stone lintel in one of the bedrooms. The main tower is an exponent of this period. After being plundered and burned by James Graham the first Marquis of Montrose it was restored in 1645. It exemplifies the transition from the fortified tower house of the 16th century to the elegant and comfortable country house. The present family the Macpherson-Grants have resided here since 1546, they continue to improve the Castle and the Estate, and are pleased to welcome visitors to their home. An online Castle tour is avilable Here. Continue reading →