By | October 1, 2012

Region : Peeblesshire
Location : Peebles
Details : The original house was built in 1782 and enlarged in 1854. An excellent example of Scottish Baronial style. It is set in 4 acres of quiet, wooded gardens. It was constructed on the site of the old Smithfield House (a 14th century castle built by The Hay family) in 1782 by Alexander Stevenson : since which time it had a series of owners –
Ludovic Grant in 1790
William Grant in 1793.
Major Archibald Erskine in 1798
James Elphinstone Erskine in 1862. James Erskine with his wife extended the house to its present size, by the addition of the further storey and the large south wing in 1892.
The house was then sold to Mr Richard Davidson, a retired tea planter, whose widow sold the house to Miss Walton in 1946. In 1948 the house was bought by Mr Alexander Cumming and his wife, Jean Brownlee. They intended to operate it as an hotel immediately, but were unable to pay a tax known as the “development tax” : Venlaw Castle Hotel opened in 1949. The hotel was sold on 3rd November 1997 to John and Shirley Sloggie and was re-named Castle Venlaw Hotel.

Paranormal Phenomena : The sounds of sighing have been reported from one bedroom here – it is thought to be the sound of a guest who leapt from the window in a suicide bid

Comments

comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *