Region :West Lothian
Location :South shore of the Firth of Forth, between Cramond and South Queensferry. It lies within the Dalmeny Estate, and is the property of the Earl of Rosebery.
Details : Barnbougle a thirteenth century tower house, was possibly constructed for the Norman, Philip Mowbray. By 1615 it was in Hamilton of Haddington hands, and in 1662 it was bought by the the Primroses of Rosebery.Most of the the current structure dates mainly from the seventeenth century. During the nineteenth century, it was in a state of ruin, the Roseberys had abandoned it in 1817 in favour of the newly built Dalmeny House. During this period, Barnbougle was used to store explosives, and following its near-demolition by an explosion, was rebuilt in 1880. Continue reading →