The Pearce Institute at Govan Cross was designed by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson in the style of a very large 17th century Scottish townhouse. It was commissioned to be built by Lady Dinah Pearce in memory of her husband Sir William Pearce, MP of the Fairfield Shipyard, who died in 1888. Work took place from 1902 and was completed in 1906.
There have been many reports of past paranormal activity in The Pearce Institute. The apparition of a ghostly woman has been witnessed walking across the foyer. Lights have been reported as well as a tap that switches on by itself. The presence of a man has been reported in the main hall on a number of occasions. On one occasion the caretaker reported hearing organ music coming from the hall, but the organ was in a decommissioned state and couldn’t be played!