Region : Lothian
Location : 12 miles SE of Edinburgh
Details : Built in 1430, it is a massive U-plan keep standing inside a walled courtyard with round corner towers – only one of which remains. it was once the refuge of Mary Queen of Scots and the Earl of Bothwell and later in 1650, was besieged by Cromwell. On the east wall, the damage done by Cromwell’s canons is still easy to see.