Deal Castle, Kent

Lieven SmitsDeal Castle was built on the orders of Henry VIII as an artillery fortress as part of a chain of such forts to defend the downs from the threat of invasion from the Catholic alliance of France and Spain during the mid-16th century.

It is one of the most impressive of the Device Forts being built by Henry VIII between 1539 and 1540 as an artillery fortress to counter the threat of invasion from Catholic France and Spain. It is shaped like a Tudor rose, being perfectly symmetrical, with a low, circular keep at its centre. Around the circumference of the keep are six bastions, as opposed to the five of Sandown and Walmer, with a further series of six bastions in the curtain wall, one of which serves as the gatehouse.

Continue reading