Melgund Castle

Region : Perthshire
Location : Glen Lyon

Details :
In very early times the land on both sides of Glen Lyon as far south as Loch Awe, belonged to Clan Gregor There was a Keep on the site of the present day Meggernie Castle that would have commanded the whole district.
Robert II, who ruled from 1370 to 1390, confiscated the Keep and conferred it upon his illegitimate son, Sir John Stewart of Cardney. With the Campbells on the south of the glen and the Stewarts on the north, the Gregors were between two fires and lost all their possessions in the district.
Though the exact date of the erection of the oldest existing part of Meggernie Castle has not been established, there is a Charter in the “Register of the Great Seal,” dated 4th March 1603, whereby James VI. confers upon Duncan Campbell of Glen Lyon, certain lands which were united to make up the Barony of Glen Lyon, the chief house of the baron being named as “the Tower called Meggernie.”
Continue reading