Deal Castle was built on the orders of Henry VIII as an artillery fortress as part of a chain of such forts to defend the downs from the threat of invasion from the Catholic alliance of France and Spain during the mid-16th century.
It is one of the most impressive of the Device Forts being built by Henry VIII between 1539 and 1540 as an artillery fortress to counter the threat of invasion from Catholic France and Spain. It is shaped like a Tudor rose, being perfectly symmetrical, with a low, circular keep at its centre. Around the circumference of the keep are six bastions, as opposed to the five of Sandown and Walmer, with a further series of six bastions in the curtain wall, one of which serves as the gatehouse.
Greyfriars Kirkyard is the graveyard surrounding Greyfriars Kirk in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is located at the southern edge of the Old Town, adjacent to George Heriot’s School. Burials have been taking place since the late 16th century, and a number of notable Edinburgh residents are interred at Greyfriars.
The Kirkyard was involved in the history of the Covenanters. The Covenanting movement began with signing of the National Covenant in Greyfriars Kirk on 28 February 1638. Following the defeat of the militant Covenanters at Bothwell Brig in 1679, some 1200 Covenanters were imprisoned in a field to the south of the churchyard. When, in the 18th century, part of this field was amalgamated into the churchyard as vaulted tombs the area became known as the “Covenanters’ Prison”.