Kindrochit Castle

Region : Aberdeenshire
Location : Braemar
Details : It was build between 1057 and 1093 by King Malcom III, Malcum Caen Mor King of Scotland. The castle was then named Ceann-drochit meaning Bridge Head. King Robert II spent time here to enjoy the hunting on the Braes of Mar. Later King Robert III gifted the castle to Sir Malcolm Drummond, his brother-in-law. Sir Malcolm proceeded to build the family tower in 1390 making it the fifth largest in Scotland. By 1628, the castle was in ruin.
Excavations began in 1925.
Continue reading