Region : Ayrshire
Location : Ardrossan, Just off A78
Details :Ardrossan Castle is situated upon a rocky hill, which gives it its name, made up of ard, meaning height, and rossan, a rocky promontory. The present ruins are on the site of an earlier castle owned by the Barclay family. By the thirteenth century it had passed to the Ardrossan family.
The castle has long been deemed a distinctive feature of the city of Ardrossan. It was included, for example, in the tour book from 1847 titled Sylvan’s Pictorial Handbook to the Clyde and its Watering-Places by Thomas and Edward Gilks. There the castle is described as a marker of regional identity and subject antiquarian interest, from which beautiful views of the ocean can be seen: