Mary King’s Ghost Fest is funded and organised by one of Edinburgh’s most popular and important tourist attractions, The Real Mary King’s Close, and is supported by a growing number of organisations across the city.
Mary King lived at the top of one of narrow Closes off the Royal Mile until her death in 1644. The Close, later named after her, was preserved when the City Chambers was constructed over the site in 1853. What remains today is a strange underground time – capsule of small houses and spaces, steeped in mystery and shrouded in dark stories.
Thought to be one of the most haunted places in Scotland, The Real Mary King’s Close has appeared on Living TV’s Most Haunted twice and more recently the Sci-Fi Channel’s Ghost Hunters International. It is therefore fitting that a number of special events take place at this venue throughout the festival.
THE DARK, claustrophobic streets running off the Royal Mile lead away from the light and downhill into the shadows. These half-forgotten reminders of Edinburgh’s insanitary past provide a perfect setting for a suitably spooky atmosphere. Largely built upon the ruins of centuries gone by, it is not just those of a sensitive nature who feel a certain frisson when they walk past.
Admitting to a spine-chilling creepiness is one thing, but deciding that you believe in ghosts is quite another.There are few places better situated to debating paranormal phenomena than Mary King’s Close, Edinburgh’s notoriously haunted spot below the City Chambers. The close was inhabited during the 16th and 17th centuries before the plague ravaged families living in the tightly packed tenement buildings. A century after the illness broke out, the city partly sealed the abandoned homes and alleyways, prompting chilling stories about paranormal sightings of previous inhabitants. Continue reading →