Region : Lothian
Location : Banks Of The Forth
Details : Situated on the Firth of Forth, it was built in the 15th century by the Crichtons but annexed by James II and became a royal residence. It played its part as a prison housing some high ranking individuals. The castle became a formidable stronghold with thickened walls and defensive guns, the garrison held it in support of Mary Queen of Scots for six years and It was besieged by Cromwell in 1650 who left the castle in ruins. It was restored during the Napoleonic wars when it again served as a prison.