By | September 19, 2012

Region : Aberdeenshire
Location : Braemar
Details : It was build between 1057 and 1093 by King Malcom III, Malcum Caen Mor King of Scotland. The castle was then named Ceann-drochit meaning Bridge Head. King Robert II spent time here to enjoy the hunting on the Braes of Mar. Later King Robert III gifted the castle to Sir Malcolm Drummond, his brother-in-law. Sir Malcolm proceeded to build the family tower in 1390 making it the fifth largest in Scotland. By 1628, the castle was in ruin.
Excavations began in 1925.

Paranormal Phenomena : This castles ruins are believed to be haunted by many black death victims. Villagers around the area blocked them all in the castle to avoid the spread of the disease. Itis a local folklore tale that during the Jacobite uprising a Hanoverian soldier was lowered into an old vault to find treasure. However all he found was a ghost party! The ghosts were seated around a table making merry around a table piled high with skulls.

Comments

comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *