Location : Between Linlithgow and Falkirk
Details : Haining Castle is a fifteenth century manor consisting originally of an L-shaped building of ground floor and three upper floor, The lands were granted to Reginald de Craufurd in the reign of James 1. The castle contained a chapel on the second floor.
In 1600 the building was enlarged by the addition of an eastern wing; this no longer survives.
The estates of the Earl of Callendar, including the lands of Haining, were forfeited because of his complicity in the Jacobite rebellion of 1715 and were sold to the York Buildings Company in 1720, from which company they were purchased in 1783 by William Forbes. by 1797 it was recorded in the first Statistical Account that ‘ii is not now inhabited.’
Paranormal Phenomena : Reports of seeing ghosts and visitors have felt “psychic energies” trying to connect with them and one visitor’s dog stopped at the stairs and growled frightened of a supernatural being.