Region : Perthshire Location : Taymouth Castle is situated just north-east of the village of Kenmore Details : The present building largely dates from the 19th century, however Taymouth stands on the site of the ancient Balloch Castle which was built in 1550 for Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy. Towards the end of the 17th century the family fell on hard times but by the turn of the century the family fortunes had sufficiently improved to finance the erection of Taymouth Castle. The castle therefore may be described as being built between 1801 and 1842 incorporating a 16th century tower house
Region : Lauder Location : Berwickshire Details : The history of Thirlestane dates back to at least the 13th century, when a large Border fort was built on the site to defend the approach to Edinburgh from the south. The central part of the present Castle was completed in 1590, remodelled in the 1670s, and then again in the 1840s.
Throughout its long history, Thirlestane belonged to the Continue reading →
Details : probably built around 1166, but all that remains of the original structure are the southwest corner and its tower. It was first called Tulloch in 1507 : Four chief families have been especially active in the town of Dingwall and country life. They are the Baynes, (later intermarrying with the Davidson’s), the Dingwalls, the MacKenzies, and the Munros.
Region : Peeblesshire Location : Peebles Details : The original house was built in 1782 and enlarged in 1854. An excellent example of Scottish Baronial style. It is set in 4 acres of quiet, wooded gardens. It was constructed on the site of the old Smithfield House (a 14th century castle built by The Hay family) in 1782 by Alexander Stevenson : since which time it had a series of owners –
Ludovic Grant in 1790
William Grant in 1793.
Major Archibald Erskine in 1798
James Elphinstone Erskine in 1862. James Erskine with his wife extended the house to its present size, by the addition of the further storey and the large south wing in 1892.
The house was then sold to Mr Richard Davidson, a retired tea planter, whose widow sold the house to Miss Walton in 1946. In 1948 the house was bought by Mr Alexander Cumming and his wife, Jean Brownlee. They intended to operate it as an hotel immediately, but were unable to pay a tax known as the “development tax” : Venlaw Castle Hotel opened in 1949. The hotel was sold on 3rd November 1997 to John and Shirley Sloggie and was re-named Castle Venlaw Hotel. Continue reading →
Region : Fife Location : Wemyss Details : It is thought that a castle may have been built here by the MacDuffs of Fife in the 11th century. Edward I visited here in 1304, staying with MacDuff’s descendant, Michael Wemyss. However Edward later ordered the castle to be destroyed.
The present castle therefore was built by the Wemyss family in the 14th century, it passed to the Livingstones and then in 1530 it was taken over by the Colvilles who built a second tower in the south-west corner and an enclosed courtyard. It is that second tower which still survives.
Its present ruinous state is not just due to the fact that it has been unoccupied for several hundred years but that the sandstone has weathered very badly. The Castle is now owned by Historic Scotland Continue reading →