Region: The Kingdom Of Fife
Location: Ravenscraig, Kirkcaldy
Details: Ravenscraig Castle is a ruined castle located in Kirkcaldy, dating from around 1460. The castle is an early example of artillery defence in Scotland. Now managed by Historic Scotland, and protected by Scheduled Ancient Monument this has been recognised as a category A listed building.
Region : Nairnshire Location : Nairn Details : Probably built around 1240 when the Thanedom of Rait was held by Clan MacIntosh. It has changed hands several times: de Raits, Campbells, Comyns, MacIntoshes, and Campbells again. The last record of the castle was in 1590, when the 12th Thane of Cawdor held the property. It is believed to have been abandoned soon after.
There seem to be only two floors, ground and first. The ground floor was used for storage and possibly some living quarters. The first floor had the hall and a solar. The round tower was probably used as a private chamber. An ancient record atsts that Rait is an oblong hall over an unvaulted undercroft. A round tower rising from a spreading base projects from one corner. The elevated entrance led into a screens passage separated from the hall by a timber screen, now vanished…Off this a small lancet window permitted the porter to observe the approach. The doorway is arched in receding orders of broad splays beneath a label mould. A portcullis and draw-bar secured it Continue reading →
Region : Roxburghshire Location : Near Kelso Details : Roxburgh Castle is a large 12th century courtyard fortress and was the strongest castle in the marches. Occupied by both the Scottish and the English through the centuries, it was demolished and repaired many times. Of this impressive Scottish royal castle, only fragments of the gatehouse, curtain wall and flanking towers now remain, with the earthworks of a 16th century English rectangular fort in its centre. With the dense cover of vegetation, it’s best accessed in winter. King James II was killed by an exploding cannon during his seige of the castle, and after taking the castle the Scots reduced it to rubble to ensure that it never again became a place of strife between the nations. Nothing now remains of either town or castle, although there is a village of Roxburgh some two miles away. Continue reading →