Kellie Castle

Region : Fife
Location : Pittenweem
Details : Kellie is of A very large E-plan,consisting of a three story main block with three large square towers that form the arms of the E. The towers are of five stories, and two have bartizans. Two smaller stair towers project from the side of the main block The castle was built in the 14th century and was originally in the hands of the Oliphant family. An earlier castle on this site belonged to the Siwards, but the present castle was built by the Oliphants, who held the land from 1360 to 1613. The L-plan tower now forming the east end of the castle is dated 1573. The upper works on the towers probably date from 1603-6, when the new main block was built and the older 15th century tower was heightened by a new top story with round bartizans
Continue reading

Kilchurn Castle

Region : Argyll
Location :
Details : Built in about 1450 by Sir Colin Campbell, as a five storey tower house with a courtyard and defended by an outer wall. By about 1500 an additional range and a hall had been added to the south side of the castle. Further buildings went up during the 1500s and 1600s. In 1760 the castle was badly damaged by lightning and was completely abandoned.
Continue reading

Kindrochit Castle

Region : Aberdeenshire
Location : Braemar
Details : It was build between 1057 and 1093 by King Malcom III, Malcum Caen Mor King of Scotland. The castle was then named Ceann-drochit meaning Bridge Head. King Robert II spent time here to enjoy the hunting on the Braes of Mar. Later King Robert III gifted the castle to Sir Malcolm Drummond, his brother-in-law. Sir Malcolm proceeded to build the family tower in 1390 making it the fifth largest in Scotland. By 1628, the castle was in ruin.
Excavations began in 1925.
Continue reading

Kinnaird Head Castle

Region : Aberdeenshire
Location : Fraserburgh
Details : This castle consists of an altered massive 15th-century keep, rectangular in plan, of four storeys and formerly with a garret. The parapet, with open rounds at the corners, has a machiolated projection in the centre of each parapet. The enterance was at first floor level, a turnpike stair has been removed. the hall was on the first floor. The Wine Tower, standing about 50 yards away, is a lower tower, now of three storeys, all of them vaulted. The unlit first floor is only entered by a trapdoor from the second floor, which is itself only reached from an outside ladder. The basement has no stairs to the floors above.
Continue reading

Knock Castle

Region : Argyll
Location :
Details : Knock is a 15th century keep constructed by the MacLeods and later captured by the MacDonalds. It was remodeled in 1596 by the MacDonalds but was abandoned by 1689. Most of the stone was used for nearby buildings
Paranormal Phenomena : said to be haunted by a Green Lady