Braemar Castle

Region : Grampian
Location :  near the village of Braemar in Aberdeenshire,

Details : A fortress built in 1628 by the Earl of Mar on the site of an even older habitation. It was a major centre of Jacobite resistance, and was usurped used as a seat of Hanoverian authority after the Jacobite Rising of 1745. see also undiscovered scotland

Continue reading

Brodick Castle

Region : Isle of Arran
Location : outside the port of Brodick

Details : The site has been occupied by a stronghold since the fifth century, in the kingdom of Dalriada. In 1503 the castle and the Earldom of Arran were granted by James IV to his cousin, Lord Hamilton. That early fortification was demolished in 1544. Parts of the present castle date from the 1588 during the ownership of the 2nd Earl of Arran. The castle was occupied by Cromwellian troops in 1648 after the first Duke was executed – the second died in battle just three years later. Since 1957 it has been owned by the National Trust for Scotland.
Continue reading

Brodie Castle

Region :Moray
Location : Inverness

Details : Probably started in construction around 1560 by Alexander Brodie of Brodie as a Z plan Tower House. 1645, the house was partially burnt and razed by the Royalist army. in 1730 remodeling was conducted. Due to the rising costs of upkeep, the castle was handed over to the National Trust for Scotland in 1970’s

Continue reading

Buchanan Castle

Region :Stirlingshire
Location : west of the village of Drymen

Details : Buchanan castle was built by the architect William Burn in 1852 after the Buchanan House was destroyed by fire The castle was completed in 1855. It was used as a hotel for a short time in the 1930s and used as a military hospital during the second world war. The roof was removed in 1955 to avoid paying tax on the property and the castle quickly deteriorated into the ruinous state shown in these Images . Today it is a condemmed building with trees growing out of it and posted warnings to keep well back from the walls. In 2003, a planning application was turned down to demolish the internal walls of Buchanan Castle and retain only the south and east walls and create 39 flats there.
Continue reading

Balcomie Castle

Region : Fife
Location : 9 miles SE of St Andrews

Details : Construction of this castle began in the 14th century. Here Mary of Guise landed in 1538, and stayed on her way to marry King James V a few days later. see also the fantastic website of Scottish Castles Association for in-depth information – http://www.scottishcastlesassociation.com/rec-id-68-cat_id-3-highlight-2.htm
Continue reading

Balgonie Castle

Region :Fife
Location : about a mile from the main rail station at Markinch and close to the M90

Details : a 14th century tower house of five storeys, with walls up to 2.4 metres thick Incorporating a large hall, a chapel and a vaulted basement. Built by the Sibbalds but passed at the end of the 15th century to Sir Robert Lundie by marriage. In 1716, the castle was captured and set on fire by Rob Roy MacGregor and his clansmen. It was in a poor state of repair in the 1950s but has been subsequently restored by the “Laird of Balgonie”, who today not only escorts visitors around his castle but hires it out as a romantic setting for weddings and other functions. A detailed history may be found http://www.balgoniecastle.co.uk/main/history.htm
Continue reading

Ballindaloch Castle

Region : Banffshire
Location :14 miles north east of Grantown on Spey on the A95.

Details : Originally built in a traditional Z plan it has been much altered and enlarged over the centuries. Ballindalloch dates from at least the 16th century- the date 1546 is carved on a stone lintel in one of the bedrooms. The main tower is an exponent of this period. After being plundered and burned by James Graham the first Marquis of Montrose it was restored in 1645. It exemplifies the transition from the fortified tower house of the 16th century to the elegant and comfortable country house. The present family the Macpherson-Grants have resided here since 1546, they continue to improve the Castle and the Estate, and are pleased to welcome visitors to their home. An online Castle tour is avilable Here.
Continue reading

Balmoral Castle

Region :Aberdeenshire
Location : Royal Deeside, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Details : The first mention of the area occurs in 1484 when a small tower house is mentioned. During the early 19th century a mansion was built at Balmoral by John Smith, an Aberdeen architect. However, in 1848 Queen Victoria and Prince Albert visited Balmoral for the first time to view the property they had bought but never seen. In 1856 Prince Albert had the mansion demolished and replaced by a castle in the neo-Gothic, ‘Scottish Baronial’ style.

Paranormal Phenomena : The Queen is reported to have seen the ghost of John Brown, friend of Queen Victoria, walking the corridors of Balmoral Castle.