Location : 15 miles N of Wick
Details : Originally known as the Castle of Mey, the name was later altered to Barrogill Castle. Built by the 4th Earl of Caithness it started as a typical 16th century Z-plan structure with jutting towers, corbelled turrets, and a great hall with numerous gun-loops. It came into the possession of Captain F B Imbert-Terry in 1929, who then sold it to the Queen Mother in 1952.
Paranormal Phenomena : This is allegedly haunted by a Green Lady type of ghost. The local folklore tells of how the daughter of a former laird was thwarted in her love for a ploughboy and committed suicide by jumping from an upper window.